Hip Replacement Exercise Program
• Use ice pack or Game Ready, per instructions for pain 20 minutes out of every hour as needed.
• To decrease swelling: Elevate the leg on 3-4 pillows with ice pack in place for 20-30 minutes at a time, while performing ankle pumps. Repeat every other hour during the day as able.
• NO “Straight Leg Raise” exercises.
• No bending and twisting or knees together, and use a pillow between knees to turn in bed. Do not be afraid to sit upright in a straight back chair if knees are apart.
• Recumbent bike: Begin 2 weeks after surgery.
• Walk 10 –15 min. Every hour, during the day.